FMCSA Clearinghouse FAQs
Who is required to comply with the FMCSA Clearinghouse regulations?
- Employers of CDL Drivers (Interstate and Intrastate)
- CDL Drivers
Note: C/TPAs such as DISA may perform certain functions on behalf of their clients but are not required to do so unless the client is considered an owner/operator. Your company retains regulatory responsibility for complying with the FMCSA Clearinghouse regulations in 49 CFR Part 382. Your company is required to interact with the Clearinghouse apart from DISA; we cannot take all the necessary steps for Clearinghouse compliance on your behalf.
What are Employers required to do in the Clearinghouse?
- Report certain drug and alcohol program violations.
- Conduct pre-employment and annual inquires for driver violation information.
- Pre-Employment Queries: required to be completed for all prospective drivers; a driver cannot begin safety sensitive functions for a motor carrier until a Pre-Employment Full Query has been completed.
- Annual Queries: required to be completed all drivers performing safety sensitive functions within 12 months of the previous Clearinghouse query; can be fulfilled by completing a Limited Query.
What are Employers required to report in the Clearinghouse?
- An FMCSA alcohol test with a confirmation of 0.04 or higher.
- An FMCSA alcohol test determined to be a refusal under 49 CFR Part 40.261.
- A refusal to take an FMCSA drug test that does not require an MRO determination.
- Actual knowledge violations, as defined in 49 CFR 382.107.
- Negative FMCSA Return-to-Duty tests.
- Completion of FMCSA Follow-Up testing.
What can DISA to do support me?
- Report certain violations on your behalf.
- Perform queries on your behalf when requested (orders must be placed through our backgrounds services; DISA does not conduct queries automatically).
- Assist in tracking completion of queries through
- Driver Qualification Services.
- Report actual knowledge violations.
- Register your account with the FMCSA Clearinghouse.
- Troubleshoot registration problems in the Clearinghouse.
How much do these services cost?
The cost of reporting violations and return-to-duty information is included in FMCSA testing fees, but only occurs if you have taken the steps to have DISA act as your C/TPA in the Clearinghouse (see below).
The cost of conducting queries in the Clearinghouse can be provided by our Sales team, and queries must be ordered through our Backgrounds services (see below).
What is the consent process for limited and full queries?
Information on the consent process for full and limited queries can be found here:
A sample limited consent form can be found here:
Can DISA purchase query plans on my behalf?
Query plans may only be purchased through the Clearinghouse by a registered employer; C/TPAs and service agents are prohibited from purchasing query plans/credits.
Instructions for purchasing query plans can be found here:
Information on the cost of purchasing query plans can be found here:
How do I get set up to have DISA act as my C/TPA in the Clearinghouse?
- Register for an FMCSA Clearinghouse account.
- Select DISA360 as your TPA
Can you tell if my company is set up for the Clearinghouse?
No. DISA can only see if you have registered for the Clearinghouse if you have designated us as your C/TPA in the Clearinghouse.
If you have created an account in the Clearinghouse and selected DISA as your C/TPA, we can confirm your designation of DISA in the Clearinghouse and make the appropriate account setting changes in the appropriate DISA platform.
How do I add my Drivers to the Clearinghouse?
- Drivers are responsible for creating their own accounts in the Clearinghouse.
- Drivers are not required to register for the Clearinghouse until such time as they are required to provide consent to full queries in the Clearinghouse.
- Employers are not able to see Driver accounts in the Clearinghouse.
- Driver accounts are not associated with specific Employers; the Clearinghouse does not require Employers to maintain a roster of active drivers in the Clearinghouse.
Do I need to use the CDL number on testing forms now?
Yes, the new Clearinghouse regulations specifically require that Employers utilize the Driver’s CDL number and state of issuance when completing testing forms for FMCSA test purposes.
The CDL number and state of issuance will be entered in the normal Employee ID field on the forms.
For DISA testing, enter the information following the format examples below:
Do I need to order new forms for FMCSA tests?
The Federal drug and alcohol testing forms have been updated by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), and employers must begin using those forms by August 2021.
If you are using paper forms, you will need to order new forms in advance of August 2021. When using electronic forms (ECCF), they will be automatically updated and no additional action is required.
Where can I find more information about the Clearinghouse?
There are multiple resources provided by the FMCSA Clearinghouse available at:
You may also wish to view the webinar we recorded in December 2019 here.