DOT PREVIOUS EMPLOYER CHECKS
This check is required for each DOT regulated employee and must be conducted within 30 days of hire. It must be conducted for each employer the applicant held a DOT regulated position in the last three years. This information is obtained by contacting each previous employer. A release is required before this type of investigation is processed.
Information provided through this search includes:
- Dates of employment
- Alcohol tests with a result of 0.04 or higher
- Verified positive drug tests
- Refusals to test
- Other violations of DOT agency drug and alcohol testing regulations Information obtained from previous employers of a drug and alcohol rule violation
- Documentation, if any, of completion of the return-to-duty process following a rule violation
- If Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) was driven and what type
- Reason employee left company
- Accident information (date, location, # of injuries/fatalities) hazardous spill information
WHO KEEPS EMPLOYEE RECORDS?
Previous employers have 30 days to provide the requested information to the prospective employer after receiving the employee’s written consent. They must also maintain a written record (fax, email, letter) of the information released with the date, the party to whom it was released, and the information that was provided.
Employers who are requesting information from past employers must also maintain a written record of the information obtained, or of the good faith efforts made to gather the information for three years following the employee’s first day of safety-sensitive duties performed.
If you're required to complete employer checks for the DOT, DISA can help save you time and effort!
Call us at 281-730-5509 or contact us online below.