THE FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (FMCSA)
The FMCSA increased its annual random drug testing rates
from 25% to 50% in 2020. The random alcohol testing rate will remain at 10%.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration holds motor carriers and drivers responsible for meeting safety standards and regulations. FMCSA has their own safety compliance and enforcement program called CSA, which stands for Compliance, Safety, Accountability.
Carriers can find their data stored on FMCSA’s Safety Measurement System (SMS), which they use to track the number, severity, and date of safety violations, as well as crash and inspection data. Data is also maintained for the number of vehicles a carrier owns and operates, as well as the miles that were traveled.
The FMCSA uses Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvements Categories (BASICs) to organize SMS data. Data is derived from the following categories, according to the CSA:
- Unsafe Driving – Violations include not wearing a seat belt, speeding, distracted driving, reckless driving, and improper lane changes.
- Crash Indicator – A history of the drivers crash records (non-public) are reviewed.
- Hours-of-Service (HOS) Compliance – Noncompliance with HOS regulations, including logbooks.
- Vehicle Maintenance – Brakes, lights, defects, and failure to make repairs.
- Controlled Substances/Alcohol – Use or possession of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Hazardous Materials Compliance – Leaking containers, improper packaging, and/or placarding (not public).
- Driver Fitness – Must be medically fit to operate a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) and hold a valid license.
Once this data is derived, carriers are then grouped with others who have similar safety incidents, then a ranking system is used to determine prioritization for interventions that seek to help improve safety and maintain compliance.
DISA Can Help You Stay FMCSA Compliant
DISA's complete line of services for the transportation industry allows you to handle all of your FMCSA compliance with a single stop. Count on DISA's industry leading service to make sure your drug and alcohol testing, physical exams, background screening (including MVRs and previous employer checks), and driver qualification files are fully FMCSA compliant!
DISA takes the worry out of an audit by ensuring you have the most accurate, up-to-date fleet management and reporting records possible. If required, DISA can also help file for licensing, permitting, tax renewals and refunds. Every day, DISA arms you with tools and information necessary to guide your FMCSA decision-making process, enabling you to make smarter choices for the future of your organization.
Additional Transportation Services we offer include:
FMCSA Compliance Manual
Maintaining compliance with the DOT and FMCSA safety regulations is often a challenging feat for carriers and drivers. The FMCSA makes available a compliance manual to help companies operating CMVs comply. The FMCSA Compliance Manual can be downloaded here and includes:
- Hours-of-Service Management
- Compliance Requirements – insurance, registration, USDOT number, etc.
- Vehicle Requirements - inspection and equipment expectations
- CMV Requirements - accidents, hazardous materials, etc.
- Employee Management – driver qualifications, CDLs, drug and alcohol testing requirements
- Enforcement Programs and Violations – audits, CSA, penalties